John Wetzel established Wetzel and Son in 1881. The first funeral home was located at 2328-30 Germantown Avenue in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
As Wetzel and Son celebrated its 125th anniversary, the company has seen five generations of the Wetzel family directing services from its funeral home locations in and around the Philadelphia area. John Wetzel was followed by his son, Walter and his grandsons Walter F. and Alvin F. Wetzel. Today, John's great grandson Bob Wetzel and his son Erich, continue the family tradition of personal service.
As the generations have passed, Wetzel and Son moved from its original location on Germantown Avenue to 4708-12 North Fifth Street in Philadelphia in the early 1900's and then to the Lawndale area of the city in the 1920's. The Wetzel family expanded outside the city when they opened locations in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania in the 1940's, and in Rockledge, Pennsylvania in 1997.
Today, Bob and Erich Wetzel own and operate two funeral homes located at 419 Huntingdon Pike in Rockledge and 501 Easton Road in Willow Grove.