Top ⇑

Honorably Discharged Veteran's Benefits

Please note several points regarding Veteran's benefits eligibility which are listed below:

  • Wetzel and Son will file with the government for all benefits which you may be eligible for.
  • A copy of the veteran's honorable discharge paper from the armed forces, along with a copy of government form DD-214 (in many instances this is on the back of the discharge), is required for Wetzel and Son to be able to complete all of the forms for the government benefits.
  • If the veteran's discharge papers are lost or missing, Wetzel and Son will file with the government to obtain a replacement copy for you.


  • An American Flag, to be displayed during the funeral and then to be presented to the family at the completion of the services.
  • An honor guard from the appropriate service branch can often be obtained to fold and present the American flag to the family and play Taps at the cemetery.
  • Free of charge certified copies of the death certificate are available, for either a veteran or their spouse if the death occurs in Pennsylvania. Free veteran's death certificates are mailed directly to the family by the State of Pennsylvania 6 to 8 weeks after an order is placed.
  • A small monetary benefit, which is available from each county in Pennsylvania if the veteran or deceased veteran's spouse meets the county residency requirements.
  • A free cemetery monument or marker provided by the Veterans Administration; many local cemeteries require a fee for the installation of this monument or marker.
  • Veterans who pass away during military service or due to military service related injuries may qualify for additional benefits.

Additional information and documentation of a veteran's record (discharge) can be obtained directly from the Department of Veterans Affairs office in Philadelphia:

Department of Veterans Affairs VAROIC Philadelphia
5000 Wissahickon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19101

or at the following web site: